Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Re-Welcome, and Re-views. David Newberry's blog life gets spicy.

Oh hello, Poets.

I've been away. It's been a wild time. So much has happened. So little time to blog.

But that's over now, Poets, I softly promise that much. I intend to use this space to gather the musings I already create elsewhere, like on my website (http://www.davidnewberry.ca/), podcast (http://www.newbsradio.com/), journalism (such as contributions I have made to BC Musician and the Toronto Tempest), as well as my personal musings about life, the universe, and everything. Don't Panic.

But I'll start with an announcement that a record I started making 13 months ago has finally seen the light of day. It is called "No One Will Remember You," which, while it may sound negative, is actually a celebration of subtlety, and of doing things for the right reasons, not the flashy ones.

I'm trying to be as un-subtle as possible with this release, and the irony isn't lost on me. But we worked hard to make it and we want you to hear it. You never know what people will think when you give them something you love. It's a marriage proposal to yourself, of sorts, but the public decides the answer. Everyone who worked on this record is really proud of it, and stuffing it in the mailbox addressed to people who are professionally employed to be critical is a somewhat terrifying experience. But I'll tell you what: So far it has gone smashingly. If it's alright with you, I will make this post short, and just give you a snippet of what people are saying so far.

Okay, Poets, I will see you on the flip side. If you have any questions about the record or the tour you can visit my website or drop me a line at davidnewberrymusic@gmail.com. I miss you.

Exclaim! Magazine thinks that: "Newberry can be filed alongside the likes of young troubadours like Jerry Leger and Corin Raymond as evidence that Canadian roots music is in good hands."
Alan Cross (yeah) says that Newberry has "equal parts 'The River' era Springsteen and Neil Young folk rock elements in his music," and says we've made a "Soulful, really impressive sophomore album."

Megaphone Magazine observes that "Newberry’s style and sound straddle both folk and rock, and the album can feel both light and dark, somber and uplifting at the same time."
Roots Music Canada says the record is full of "Songs. Real songs, together with a sound that’s strong enough to set him apart from more everyday singer-songwriters."
ThoseWhoDig say: "Ripe with nostalgia, infectious melodies, and a comfortable feeling of song familiarity Dave Newberry's new release is a must have."

Victoria's Martlet says: "Alive with bright pedal steel and a sort of critical Canadiana, the album is flushed with sentimentality for Newberry’s home country as well as a frustration with its many ailments... Lyrical craftsmanship of a consistent calibre is the heart of this album."
Vancouver Weekly graciously states that: "Newberry’s cheekily-titled sophomore effort, released through Vancouver’s Northern Electric label and produced by Adam Iredale (of Fish and Bird), amplifies the momentum created by his 2010 solo debut, When We Learn The Things We Need To Learn."

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment